Sunday, July 31, 2011

Our Sunflower House

I've been excited to share this little hide-a-way with everyone who walks in the door. After reading through Roots, Shoots, Buckets & Boots by Sharon LoveJoy, I knew I needed to grow this little place to play in our yard.

Thankfully, I got the seeds in in time, and we have flowers! This is a shot looking in the doorway. Morning Glories are planted with the Sunflowers to climb up, up and maybe even cross to other flowers, creating a roof.

But do you need a roof on a playhouse that stands 12 feet in the air? My heart swelled with kid-joy (I still have it sometimes) today as I watched Nate walk out there after our camping trip weekend to inspect growth. He wasn't even 1/3 as tall as these flowers. He looked so, so small!

When I planted I used a variety of heights, colors, types of Sunflowers. I cannot tell you that I know the types, only that I adore each of them, and they smile out at the neighbors every day.

The Reds have been earliest to bloom, quickest to loose their petals.

A few down low make for great inspection for little eyes and fingers. Yes, you may pick.

Another beautiful thing, the bees! We can see them, hear them, watch them collect, but they really stay up high, allowing the kids to feel safe from them. Another interesting thing...it could just be me, but it seems that since we have honey bees the yellow jackets have disappeared. I'd prefer to have bees anyday!
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

The Daileys said...

What a neat idea!

Hilary said...

So fun!

Hazel M. Wheeler said...

What sweetness, and even better do be able to 'spy' the bees without being afraid of them. We have them all over the gardens in front and back, a bee haven. Do get a naturalists bee book and let the boys spot the diversity of bees; we have several (honeybees, mason bees, bumbles both yellow and red, and a native green bee). We have paper wasps too... buzz.

Lovely, lovely little house. None of my sunflowers came up last year. One spindly volunteer in the veg garden, though, has poked its skinny head up. We shall see...

Barb said...

Thank you SO much for sharing your sunflowers. I love that your boys are able to explore from underneath these wonderful flowers. "Yes you can pick"!!!! Love that. We have enjoyed our sunflowers this year too and maybe next year I will add some morning glories...perfect!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

Oh, I think we need one if these! Did you know there's a picture book about a sunflower house? Here's a link to my review of it and other sunflower books---
http://www.hopeisthewordblog.com/2009/08/26/sunflower-books-and-resources/

Phyllis said...

I have always wanted to make one of those! I love the beautiful sunflowers you have grown. Beautiful.