Sunday, January 25, 2009

When in process...

"Does God care whether you work at McDonald's or Burger King?"

My pastor asked us this question awhile back. His answer was that God probably doesn't really care. Believers tend to over-spiritualize these things, I actually knew someone who would pray about what to wear each day. That's just plain silly. We wonder what God thinks about our circumstances, our choices. Wondering is good, but not because His Will entails direction for each detail of our lives.

We've been in the midst of doing some decision making, and I guess I have to agree with Pastor Curtis. After all the pros and cons are listed, I think the choice is really up to us. We know that God is with us no matter what we choose. However...

I have been thinking. Does it matter if we choose McDonald's over Burger King? No, but what matters,in fact, are the matters of the heart. How do we handle the decision making process? Do we turn things over and over in our heads? Do we work all day and night to figure it out? Do we pull the weight on our own, wondering?

Or do we rest? Do we wait in faith? Do we prayerfully watch what God wants to show us?

There has to be a balance, I think. We just can't sit quietly and wait for God to hit us on the head with an answer...but we also need to lean on him.

My husband said it sweetly the other day, he said he was worrying too much- not thinking but needed to get in the Word, and rest in God again. I think this is exactly what I should be doing, think, weigh things out...then before I start to worry, run back to our Great God, who cares about these things.

Am I able to trust him in times of waiting? Can I continue to live- to be present, be faithful while I'm waiting? Can I continue to give my family and friends rich relationship while I wait, and expect God to lead me.

So this is my challenge to myself; to wait well.

Psalm 27:14
Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

Kindly, He doesn't ask us to wait alone.

So my friends...again I say;

Wait for the Lord. Be strong, take heart. Wait for the Lord. He WILL show up, he always does.

3 comments:

Cathy said...

Amen, my friend.

runninggal said...

Yep!!

Karyn said...

"Or do we rest? Do we wait in faith? Do we prayerfully watch what God wants to show us?"

Oh the peace that comes from abiding and sinking deeply into Christ's loving arms.

Thank you for your insight.