Sunday, November 27, 2011

Fairy Seeds



Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex...it takes a touch of genius- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
-Albert Einstein
Back to the river for another peek at those fairy seed pods we found yesterday.  

I had seen some when I was running earlier in the day.  I noticed that they were not at all thistle plants.  In fact these plants were at least 4 feet tall and had large leaves with seed pods at the top. The boys and I  found more at the riverside quickly, I took lots of photos and gathered some of the silky seed feathers in the pods to take home and identify them.  

Milkweed!  Showy Milkweed, to be exact!  I'm thrilled.  This is a pefect excuse to begin my butterfly garden.  Milkweed is the egg-laying plant for a Monarch.  I will dry out my seed and then cool them before I plant in the spring.  I'll have to work on the location of my butterfly garden.  Oh, yay!


I believe these are seed pods from an Acacia tree.  Anyone know?  


Really, aren't they dreamy?  



Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.  -John Cotton Dana










Linking up to Handbook of Nature Study.

No comments: