Monday, October 17, 2011


For Today...




Outside my window...the red and golden leaves crackle-giggled at us today as our bike tires rolled over them.  We called out the signs of Autumn as we saw them, breathed in the smoky air and enjoyed a day of sunshine.  The world is quieting down and I'm still Autumn's biggest fan.

I am thankful for... a new win-win!

You see, I homeschool.  Therefore, we live in our house all day, using potties, making dishes, laundry and dirty floors.  I am always in a pinch to keep up.  The boys are taking on more chores all the time and doing really well with their zones.  But I still fight for the right time to get an hour of housework done after school (tired) and before dinner or running around.  I love doing housework in the morning.

And, if you've been reading my blog for long at all you'll know how much I detest the monster that lives in my basement.  That glowing monster sings stupid songs and beckons to them all throughout the school hour...."Come and play my stupid little games!  You might get more points or better yet, to the next level."  I simply cannot permit my sweet students to be rushed by their desire to wallow down to the dark, gloomy basement to be entranced by that machine....

Anyhow, I have discovered a sweetest compromise.  As long as my boys are esteeming each other over that machine called the Wii, I have been permitting them, after their chores, to play games for a a bit in the morning.  They are up early, so why not?  THEN (this is the beautiful part) I can run around like a crazy lady for a 1/2 an hour and get an amazing amount of housework done.

It's working, for a few weeks now (who knows about next week) and I'm loving it.  I'm also able to stretch our "fun" part of school out a little longer b/c the machine has been silenced and so has the laundry.

I'm so thankful for tricks and seasons.

From the learning rooms... Lewis and Clark, digestive anatomy and diagramming sentences of course ( I love diagramming!) Also a fun new math game I contrived.

Math Crossword

On a White Board I create a grid and one by one I line up numbers so that three numbers in a row usually create some sort of equation (3, then 5, then 8= 3+5=8)  I fill in the entire grid coming up with as many appropriate problems that I can.  For my boys I'm doing only addition and subtraction.  My oldest math whiz will study the grid until he finds a problem using his math.  

Then the kids take turns showing me a math problem and they get a 'point' for each answer (points mean nothing) until the board is exhausted.   A very fun way to practice math facts together and it's working for us all.  :)


From the kitchen...leftover Lasagne for dinner, but I just finished making these for Ralph for take-to-work breakfast.  He will be happy when he gets home.  :)  Oh, and my kitchen is clean.  This is a new trend.

I am wearing...slippers.  And yoga-comfy pants and my glasses.  Comfy.

I am creating...a little order around the house and soon, a Christmas gift project.  This year is a make-gift-year for the most part.  Lean is good, isn't it?

I am going...to iron.  In 10 minutes.  Oh, and apple picking.  Soon.

I am reading...Amos Fortune: Free Man by Elizabeth Yates.  I love it.

I am hoping...that my camera survives.  I may have killed it.  *BIG sigh.*  I accidently left it outside after a wonderful late night fire we had in the back yard.  I took so many great s'more photos...and then was so worried about getting the fire banked I left my camera out.

It's in a tub of rice, I'll update you when I know...

I am hearing...rhythmic thumping of Mr. J on the chair while he reads, and Eli playing with Nika, the spicy, sneaky, scratchy kitten.

Around the house...I'm still purging, still organizing after our move.  I know it's been a year, but these things take time.  I like this house.  No, I love it.

One of my favorite things...clean sheets.  Tonight is clean sheet night.

A few plans for the rest of the week: karate, soccer, Awana, CC, school, Nika to the dr., BBQ, and hubby's game night here.

Here is picture thought I am sharing...
Mr. N and his 72 lb pumpkin!




1 comment:

Hazel M. Wheeler said...

From one 'running round the house like a crazy lady' to another: good for you, figuring out how to make real life work with school life. I'd like to say I'm going to vacuum right now, but I'm not feeling like quality time with the Kirby will be as satisfying as a good dig in the garden and separating iris rhizomes will.

That said, anyone want some iris for next year?