Sunday, August 23, 2009

I remember....

This is what I think of whilst I stir over the stove for my Eli;

I remember waiting in anticipation at the kitchen table. I sat staring at the hot, steamy glob of play doh on the table in front of me. I wanted to put my hands right in it and squish it up a million ways.

Too hot, still.

Mom had cooked it on the stove as I waited and waited.

When it was cool enough mom poked a hole in the top with her finger and dropped a few drops of food coloring inside the well.

Now, squish. Try not to break that pocket with color inside because it will stain your hands. But stained hands go unnoticed to me. I watch how the color takes over the white play doh,

squishing it a million times.




COOKED PLAYDOH
1 c. flour
1/2 c. salt
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. water
2 tbsp. oil - solid
1 tsp. food coloring (any color)
Combine all ingredients, except water and oil, in a saucepan. Gradually stir in 1 cup water mixed with oil, add food coloring. Cook over medium to high heat, stirring constantly until a ball forms. Remove from heat, place dough on table and knead until smooth.

Sometimes I add a dash of essential oil or cinnamon.
For best results, add playdoh cutter, scissors, children and mess.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh I so LOVE LOVE homemade playdough... the smell reminds me of childhood in every way! I love this very same recipe! Great arm workout, isnt' it? Woo hoo!!

Hugs... miss you!

Hazel M. Wheeler said...

Thanks for posting the recipe...it looks just like the one I lost, except that maybe I'll take you up on the essential oils...like some Rescue Remedy Playdoh when the kids go all haywire after they've been inside for days due to biting cold weather!