Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Homeschool Update


I'd like to give all interested parties an update on our schooling. Perhaps some of you would like to see just what school looks like during the week in our house. Perhaps you'd love to look in and see that these kiddos are getting all that they need, hopefully I can show you that they're getting all that, and more.

About three weeks ago I stumbled across an opportunity to sign Scooter up for a free charter school curriculum program. I've looked into this program before, but it runs about $1200 a year, so I never got any farther. This year the State of OR & K12 have partnered together to offer this to homeschooling families at no cost. I took one look at all the books, supplies, lesson plans, etc. and signed up. I have really enjoyed 'designing' our own work in the past, but this is a no-brainer for me. The lesson planning is done for the school year, each day is scheduled up for me. I can still implement the things I see important that aren't included (nature hikes, journaling, Bible) and be flexible in choosing what we do each day (ie: should Scooter get on a roll, say in math, and do two or three lessons we can skip other subjects and pick them up later.)

I started the program two weeks ago, and though we were set back in 'starting over' with a new program and learning how to meet everyone's needs, we are getting the flow of things.

I have learned quickly that my whole day is more successful and happy if little Critter and Peanut get me first. After breakfast we'll sit down on the couch with a pile of library books, or play a learning game, do something fun and interactive together. Then we do the calendar, and work on a variety of things, maybe more reading or flashcards, manipulatives, or writing or drawing. By this time Scooter usually floats in ready to get to work too. One the days that Scoot has hands on Art, History or Science, we'll usually do this next so that LC and Peanut can stay involved if they're interested. That has been one of the best parts about this new program...the activities and art are mapped out for me, and I'm provided with all the supplies I need but paper and pencils.

I'm also feeling a bit nicer as a homeschool mama...in that the lesson planning and 'holes' are filled in for me. It gives me time to play while I work and laugh a little more. **Working on this a lot, light hearts make light work** I don't have to worry about whether or not we've done enough each day, and I'm working with the accountability of a teacher, so I don't worry that we're missing things.

This week, we're reading Swiss Family Robinson with the promise of a movie when we finish


Maybe I'll update you with more of exactly what we're doing one of these days. ;)

2 comments:

Amanda said...

HI ABOUT FRIDAY MY PARTY DOES NOT GET OVER TILL 10 BUT I CAN GET AFRIEND 2 TAKE ME HOME AND I WOULD LOVE 2 BABYSIT ANY TIME

Yule {b}Log said...

This sounds great! I might look into it more closely.