Saturday, September 15, 2007

Peanut Butter and Bellies









An hour ago I mixed up a can of OJ. It's gone. Gone! Every last drop. So goes the ever-changing state of our groceries....they slip away before I can even fix them.
Really now, should I be surprised? And some of you are in this parenting thing farther than I, you would laugh and say "just you wait..." Still though, I'm amazed at how much these boys can put away, and ten minutes later say "I'm hungry." We get in the car "I'm hungry" They get in bed, "I'm hungry." We eat, "Mom, can I be excused? I'm hungry."
I wish we had a whole wall of ever producing blackberries in the back that the boys could endlessly munch on. But we don't, and so I'm in charge of filling these little bellies, and trying to do it well.
I've calculated that in the last year I've prepared approximately 600 pbj's more or less. Who knows how many broccoli's I've steamed, how many crusts I've fed to the birds, how many gallons of milk I've been through.
I'm now in search of some healthy baked treats. My kiddos love "my" protein bars (WAY too expensive to share.) I'd love to come up with something comparable in protein & flavor for them. Please share your favorite bar/cookie recipes with me if you care to! I'll let you know what favorites I find!

2 comments:

Welcome! said...

My kids LOVE this one!

BAKED OATMEAL

Mix together:

¾ cup oil (1 cup of apple sauce works well too)
1 ½ cups sugar (3/4 cup fructose works well too)
3 eggs
4 ½ cups old fashioned oatmeal
¾ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 ½ cups milk (soy or rice milk works great too)

Pour into a pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

Serve now with milk poured over it or refrigerate and warm up individual servings in microwave at a later time.

Anonymous said...

I love the one of the boys with the monster lollipops! Too cute!