Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Peace & Quiet. Who needs it?

Like it was yesterday, I remember the moment clearly.  Nestled on the couch with a nursing baby, a toddler who couldn't get close enough to on-my-lap and another noisy little boys romping around the room, I juggled my Bible and prayed for a little peace and quiet.  Peace and quiet was exactly what I needed to dive into the depths of what God had for me that day.  It was just what I needed to hear God's voice, whispering what I needed to know for that day.

I heard Him tell me then, "Peace is not always quiet."

That has proved to be an understatement.  The years since that day have proven that statement again and again in so many ways.  But when it came to simply reading, praying, seeking the Lord each day that has been especially true.  I can sit down with my Bible, noisy, tumbling boys and a cup of tea and still hear God's voice, still read what He has for me.  God has even prompted me to read aloud to the boys, after all, they're a perfect audience!

Now my boys are 8, 10 & 12 and I face whole new issues.  (Perhaps the opposite could be true...that quiet is not always peaceful?  But that's another topic)  The truth that God spoke to me that day remains.  As I seek Him each morning life is still noisy.  My mind shouts, louder even than my kids some days.  But I will seek God before it's too late.  I only have today and He has so much mercy, grace and wisdom for me today.

Here is a great article about the importance of time with God while mothering.

"But the Lord stood by me and strengthened me, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might here it."  2 Timothy 4:17

No comments: