Friday, September 23, 2011

Getting in our Groove


We are back to school!  Three weeks in and every day is a little simpler.  I'd have to say that this year has been the simplest to start up, by far.  I think it has everything to do with the ages of the boys, our experience and comfort level of getting started up again.  We sucked every ounce of juice out of the end of summer, not speaking of or thinking too much about school.  
Then, when the day came, we snuck up to a full schedule.  Our first days were just morning routine, Bible & Math.  Slowly I added in our memory work, Science curriculum (We're doing Apologia's Anatomy & Physiology) and History.  

Easing into the school year allows the boys to have time to adjust to the schedule change (getting dressed before lunch) and getting down to stretching our brains in new ways.  It also gives me time to tweak things one at a time.  I found both Nate and Eli needed to jump forward in their new math books (so much review in front) thus, I can iron things out as I learn what is wrinkled.

And this year we're studying America....her History, her Geography.  The photos above are our crude sketches of the East Coast.  We played a fun game of driving from state capitol to state capitol.  :)  

And then there is soccer.  Nate and Eli are on the same team...the team with the best coach:  their dad.  He is LOVING coaching and the boys love the game.  I love that Upwards asks only one practice a week, and a game on Saturdays.  Joe is playing too, on a different team.

And then Karate, our beloved Dojo with the best Sensei's ever.  Eli traded his white belt in a few weeks ago for his Little Dragons class.  Nate and Joe tested and traded their white belts in last Saturday.  I am so impressed to watch how controlled they are, how quick and attentive in this class.  

And then there are Sundays.

Sundays for turning over rocks and lying on a beach blanket, pushing a boy on the swings and going out for a lazy pizza dinner.  

Life is busy, and all this busy is good.  I am so thankful!


2 comments:

Hazel M. Wheeler said...

How wonderful.

I love the 'driving to state capitols' game...you are so creative and resourceful. Perfect for busy, moving, kinetic learners and just any old kid. Fun=learning=fun. Nice equation, ha ha.

See you soon. It's going to be good.:)

Amanda said...

Hazel, I wish I could take credit for the driving game (it was Eli's idea) or even drawing w/ chalk instead of paper (a friends' idea)...but I will take credit for being flexible and willing to have fun. Most days.