Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Dear Susie, a cake for You.

Dear Susie, You asked how I made the birthday cake. Well I'm finally getting back to you. This is how we made the cake.
(By the way, do you have any idea how much I miss you all and how much we'd love to see you again? What wonderful memories of walks and teaching and babies and potty training I have with you? Oh, I miss you friend! Five years is too long.)
So, I used to boxes of white cake mix. Mixed them up as directed and divided the batter into 6 small bowls. Each bowl got a color and the boys and I added color and mixed until we were content with the color. That's really what this is all about, right?





Next, I dumped bits of color into my cake rounds.  No method, mostly madness.



Even dirty dishes can be nice.  


I made 4 rounds.   Each of them got a layer of icing around and atop.  (That's a Preposition, you know.)  After I got them all stacked up I iced the whole thing again very lightly.  Then, very important, I put the lightly iced cake in the fridge overnight.  This gave a perfect surface for me to ice the next day, the cake really looked pretty smooth.  


I knew I had done well when my boys kept brining the kids into the house for a peek at the cake.  And that was before they saw the inside.  How fun was this for me?  Way too much fun!


The ENTIRE slice.  No one got a giant slice.  I portioned them out, everyone was very happy to get their own colorful piece.   



Yes, I'm ridiculously impressed with my cake baking skills.  You have to understand this has been an area of defeat for me so long, I'm thrilled to have done well at last.


So there you go, Susie.  Thanks for asking, and all your sweet comments across the miles.  I miss you all over there so much!  xoxo!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: