Saturday, December 13, 2008

Peace On Earth-Day 14: Rest and Reflect


It's Sunday. Rest.

Yes, breathe, nap, smile, laugh, play, eat, nap, worship, rest.


Psalms 116:7-8
I said to myself, "Relax and rest.
God has showered you with blessings. Soul, you've been rescued from death; Eye, you've been rescued from tears; And you, Foot, were kept from stumbling."

I know already that so many of you are working hard to help our little ones really understand the meaning of Christmas. I'm fighting, day by day for the understanding to come through. I knew I had a small success; at the post office I was given the option of Christmas stamps. I was holding Critter, and I gave him the choice. There were nutcrackers, and a very "religious" looking picture of Mary, Joseph and of course baby Jesus. I completely expected Critter
to choose the cartoonish nutcrackers, he surprised me by saying:

"Jesus, of course Mom. Christmas is HIS birthday! We are celebrating Him."

I sat with a stack of Christmas books the other day. I read about Snoopy's Christmas, Rudolf, Santa. Then, with a last minute thought I explained that these traditional characters and "things" we practice (gifts, trees, cookies, candies) are all just ways that we celebrate Christmas.

And here, is the story of Christmas: I read the story of Christs' virgin birth. No confusion there. Just as the cake and gifts are part of the celebration of a birthday, all these things we celebrate with are just a tradition...HE is the story. It's HIStory.

Enjoy reminding your kids today, again, what we're celebrating. Don't beat yourself up for not celebrating a formal advent (if you don't) just talk to your kids, they're listening. Pray with them, plan to make a birthday cake for our King who was born so long ago.

And rest, In Him. Rest, right where you are.

Psalm 23:2 He lets me rest in green meadows;he leads me beside peaceful streams.

Psalm 30:2 O Lord my God, I cried to you for help,and you restored my health.


2 comments:

Cathy said...

I completely agree! My kiddos can't stop talking about our cake we're making for Jesus and guessing at which flavor would be HIS favorite:)

hmm. Rest. I would love some rest from my mind:) I know He can give it...

Hilary said...

Each Christmas Eve as we were growing up, we'd each receive a new Christmas-y candle. Then, we'd open one special candle together, and my mama would light it and we'd put it in the window & sing an early Happy Birthday to Jesus. I love that memory.